Our apartment in Barcelona is nice, but the neighborhood is a bit wild for my liking. We're right off Las Ramblas, and the streets were alive with loud partying well into the early morning hours. Our kids must have been exhausted, because they tell me they didn't hear any noise. I couldn't sleep, and Danilo took up all the space on the very small bed in the master bedroom (it's only a full, I think), so I ended up on the couch.
After the nappers finally got up yesterday afternoon, we headed out to explore Las Ramblas, which is a huge pedestrian street with all sorts of people watching opportunities. There are many guys dressed in costumes with painted bodies who stand still like statues and then move when you're not expecting it. As you walk, you find bird and animal stalls, flowers, souvenirs, tapas, and all sorts of other interesting things.
On the way back to our apartment, we stopped at an amazing fresh food market called La Boqueria. It's huge and packed full of stalls brimming with bright fruits and vegetables, nuts, cheeses and almost anything else you could want. As we worked our way through the stalls, we found ourselves in the fish and meat area. Micah started complaining "nose! nose!" It took me a minute to realize that he was complaining about the smell! We made a quick exit, because he was right.
Last night, we feasted on fresh strawberries, coconut, apricots, tomatoes, and corn. It was fabulous.
We're getting a very late start today, but the plan is to go visit a small children's beach I read about. We already experienced some topless beaches in Italy and Corsica, so I figure this children's beach should be safe. (The topless bathers brought to mind the old Smiths lyrics -- "you without clothes, I cannot keep a straight face. Me without clothes, a nation turns its back and gags." It's just not the kind of thing you want to see. Complete lack of judgment on the part of the bathers.)
Sunday, June 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment